I've reviewed Miniflux in detail on my blog, but features (among many) that I appreciate:
- Compatible with the Fever API, read your feeds through existing mobile and desktop clients (This is the killer feature for me. I hardly ever read RSS on my desktop, I typically read on my iPhone or iPad, using Fiery Feeds or my new squeeze, Unread)
- Send your bookmarks to Pinboard, Wallabag, Shaarli or Instapaper (I use this to automatically pin my bookmarks for collection on my blog)
- Feeds can be configured to download a "full" version of the content (rather than an excerpt)
- Use the Bookmarklet to subscribe to a website directly from any browsers
Setup data locations¶
Create the location for the bind-mount of the application data, so that it's persistent:
mkdir -p /var/data/miniflux
Setup Docker Swarm¶
Create a docker swarm config file in docker-compose syntax (v3), something like this:
I share (with my patreon patrons) a private "premix" git repository, which includes necessary docker-compose and env files for all published recipes. This means that patrons can launch any recipe with just a
git pull and a
docker stack deploy 👍
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
version: '3' services: miniflux: image: saghul/miniflux volumes: - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro - /var/data/miniflux/:/config/ networks: - traefik deploy: labels: - traefik.frontend.rule=Host:miniflux.example.com - traefik.docker.network=traefik - traefik.port=80 networks: traefik: external: true
Launch Miniflux stack¶
Launch the Miniflux stack by running
docker stack deploy miniflux -c <path -to-docker-compose.yml>
Log into your new instance at https://YOUR-FQDN. Default credentials are admin/admin, after which you can change (under 'profile') and add more users.
- I chose saghul/miniflux's over the "official" miniflux/miniflux image, because currently the official image doesn't log to stdout (which you want, for docker logging commands), and because I have an expectation that nginx is more lightweight (faster) than apache.
- Find the bookmarklet under the "about" page. I know, it took me ages too.
Tip your waiter (donate) 👏¶
Did you receive excellent service? Want to make your waiter happy? (..and support development of current and future recipes!) See the support page for (free or paid) ways to say thank you! 👏