OwnTracks allows you to keep track of your own location. You can build your private location diary or share it with your family and friends. OwnTracks is open-source and uses open protocols for communication so you can be sure your data stays secure and private.
Using a smartphone app, OwnTracks allows you to collect and analyse your own location data without sharing this data with a cloud provider (i.e. Apple, Google). Potential use cases are:
- Sharing family locations without relying on Apple Find-My-friends
- Performing automated actions in HomeAssistant when you arrive/leave home
- Docker swarm cluster with persistent shared storage
- Traefik configured per design
- DNS entry for the hostname you intend to use, pointed to your keepalived IP
Setup data locations¶
We'll need a directory so store OwnTracks' data , so create
Create owntracks.env, and populate with the following variables
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
OAUTH2_PROXY_CLIENT_ID= OAUTH2_PROXY_CLIENT_SECRET= OAUTH2_PROXY_COOKIE_SECRET= OTR_USER=recorder OTR_PASSWD=yourpassword MQTTHOSTNAME=owntracks.example.com HOSTLIST=owntracks.example.com
Setup Docker Swarm¶
Create a docker swarm config file in docker-compose syntax (v3), something like this:
I share (with my patreon patrons) a private "premix" git repository, which includes necessary docker-compose and env files for all published recipes. This means that patrons can launch any recipe with just a
git pull and a
docker stack deploy 👍
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45
version: "3.0" services: owntracks-app: image: funkypenguin/owntracks env_file : /var/data/config/owntracks/owntracks.env volumes: - /var/data/owntracks:/owntracks networks: - internal ports: - 1883:1883 - 8883:8883 - 8083:8083 owntracks-proxy: image: a5huynh/oauth2_proxy env_file : /var/data/config/owntracks/owntracks.env networks: - internal - traefik_public deploy: labels: - traefik.frontend.rule=Host:owntracks.example.com - traefik.docker.network=traefik_public - traefik.port=4180 volumes: - /var/data/config/owntracks/authenticated-emails.txt:/authenticated-emails.txt command: | -cookie-secure=false -upstream=http://owntracks-app:8083 -redirect-url=https://owntracks.example.com -http-address=http://0.0.0.0:4180 -email-domain=example.com -provider=github -authenticated-emails-file=/authenticated-emails.txt networks: traefik_public: external: true internal: driver: overlay ipam: config: - subnet: 172.16.15.0/24
Setup unique static subnets for every stack you deploy. This avoids IP/gateway conflicts which can otherwise occur when you're creating/removing stacks a lot. See my list here.
Launch OwnTracks stack¶
Launch the OwnTracks stack by running
docker stack deploy owntracks -c <path -to-docker-compose.yml>
Log into your new instance at https://YOUR-FQDN, with user "root" and the password you specified in gitlab.env.
Chef's Notes 📓¶
- If you wanted to expose the OwnTracks Web UI directly, you could remove the oauth2_proxy from the design, and move the traefik-related labels directly to the wekan container. You'd also need to add the traefik network to the owntracks container.
- I'm using my own image rather than owntracks/recorderd, because of a potentially swarm-breaking bug I found in the official container. If this gets resolved (or if I was mistaken) I'll update the recipe accordingly.
- By default, you'll get a fully accessible, unprotected MQTT broker. This may not be suitable for public exposure, so you'll want to look into securing mosquitto with TLS and ACLs.
Tip your waiter (support me) 👏¶
Did you receive excellent service? Want to make your waiter happy? (..and support development of current and future recipes!) See the support page for (free or paid) ways to say thank you! 👏
Flirt with waiter (subscribe) 💌¶
Want to know now when this recipe gets updated, or when future recipes are added? Subscribe to the RSS feed, or leave your email address below, and we'll keep you updated. (double-opt-in, no monkey business, no spam either - check the archive for proof!)